Monday, January 15, 2007

Can a sports victory help heal a city?

In my last blog about the University of Alabama's hiring of Nick Saban, I wondered what actual good a national championship would bring the university and the state. I still ponder that question, especially when looking at the price tag of Saban's salary.
However, I look at the circumstances New Orleans finds itself in and I have to raise a question on the opposite of the coin - could a Super Bowl win do this city some good?
I think on the whole the answer is a resounding 'Yes.'
It still concerns me that the Superdome was merely cleaned up and repaired after Hurricane Katrina, not bulldozed in memory of those who died within its walls. And winning the Super Bowl won't fully cure the ills which led to nine murders less than two weeks into the new year.
But it certainly gives people there something else - something fun and exciting to think about - and it could help them think they can succeed in their own struggles to rebuild and overcome.

No comments: