Saturday, August 11, 2007

756 + *

The news that Barry Bonds surpassed Hank Aaron's 33-year-old major league home run record barely registered on my proverbial radar screen. Why?
I'm trying to word this so as to not sound like I'm accusing the man unjustly - I have no proof either way, but I think there are too many unanswered questions about whether Bonds has used performance-enhancing drugs. The evidence on the subject is largely speculative and circumstantial. Until those questions are answered through some legitimate venue, be it a court or an independent review on behalf of Major League Baseball, I think the record should be viewed differently than those of Hank Aaron and Babe Ruth, the record's previous holders.

2 comments:

believingthomas said...

question. What about players that wear contact lenses or glasses? How is that unnatural enhancement different? Real question, not trying to argue...just wondering what you think.

Paul said...

Sorry it took me a while to answer your question. I have given it some thought.
Those wearing glasses or contacts are - in most cases - getting their eyesight corrected to a baseline standard. Therefore, those with vision correction likely will not gain a competitive advantage over those without it.
Steroids and their cousins create - in my view, unfair - advantages for those who choose to take them.
To me, baseball players with corrected vision and those allegedly taking performance enhancing substances are in two distinct categories.