Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Bridging the great divide

Amanda and I tried for nearly four and a half years to have a child before this most recent pregnancy. We encountered one miscarriage in 2001.
During this time, we've known our child(ren) would be born with one set of grandparents missing entirely from the equation of helping to raise and shape our child.
We're now facing the reality we'll have to tell our child(ren) about his or her (thier) paternal grandparents and hope such explanation does the job.
I've written notes about them for an anticipated day we'll be able to sit down and tell him or her about them.
Mom gave birth to me less a month after her 40th birthday. Dad was about six weeks from his 44th birthday when I came into the world. I wasn't quite 16 when Dad died, and I was within weeks of my 31st birthday when Mom passed away.
I've thought for years about making a DVD of people who knew Mom and Dad talking about them. As the years pass, so do the people who can tell our child(ren) about them.
We bought a video camera for the first time this past week, so maybe we can finally do it. Finding the time to get back to my hometown might be a trick, though stranger things have happened.
But we hope we can help our child(ren) have a sense of connectedness to their grandparents, even if it's through a television screen or on a piece of paper.
It's better than nothing.

1 comment:

Rencri said...

Your thoughts about your parents are way better than nothing. For Jayden to see them through your eyes is actually two gifts: 1. The knowledge of her grandparents 2. A deeper knowledge of you, as the thoughts you put on paper may include more private memories that you might never say aloud to her.