Friday, August 19, 2005

It's a good day

Several people know that the due date of our expected child is Sept. 11.
Some have reacted that it's a terrible day to have a baby born on that date.
The likelihood the baby will come into this world then is remote.
But I beg to differ that it's a bad day for a good thing to happen.
We forget that all kinds of good things happened that day.
For a day, we forgot that we were black, white, Hispanic, etc.
For a day, we forgot that individuals weren't more important than people.
For a day, we forgot we were a divided nation.
For a day, we had dozens and dozens of heroes, many of whom aren't here with us today.
Too bad we've collectively forgotten what we forgot that day.
I've made a little disc - don't worry RIAA, it's not for sale - of songs and tracks (all paid for) relevant to the events of 9/11 and/or its aftermath - just to remind me that no matter how bad my day at work was, I've never had a day like that.
If the baby is born that day, I have a name in mind. Grandma doesn't like it but it will get strong consideration if she's born on 9/11. We'll just leave it at that for now, and that for all the bad that happened on that day nearly four years ago - it's a good day.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

thanks for stopping by Upheaval! i am awake at this ridiculous hour because of our barking dog and pregnancy related sleep issues.

i am due 9/9 and have thought about the 9/11 birthday as well. it is my grandmother's birthday, so it wouldn't be so bad. i enjoyed your post - very good perspective.

Martha said...

Any day your Miracle girl is born is a BRILLANT day!!! I am sure if I look back in history something "bad" happened on my birthday too. It's all in perspective and I think you have taken a tremendous out look on it!

Jennboree said...

Hi, Amanda Sue's sister here. I think having a baby on 9/11 would be blessed, not terrible. Any day a child is born is a blessed one. However, on a day that of so much anguish, suffering and loss of life, a new life is proof that where there's evil and sadness, there is even more goodness and healing.

Re: your earlier post of wanting a boy and getting a girl, I think most men might immediately think they want a boy, but let me tell you that our daughter has brought more joy, happiness and fulfillment to my husband than he ever imagined could happen. Yours will too :)