Thursday, September 15, 2005

OK ...

At the request of one the handful of regular readers of this blog, here's my side of the labor/delivery. (I'm saving an actual diary of the delivery for family use.)
When news came that Amanda's water broke, I still had about an hour's worth of work to finish. Not wanting to have it hanging over my head, I hurried to complete it. I got it out of the way, jumped in the van and got moving down the road.
We'd called ahead so they knew what they had coming.
Having dealt with the doctor before, I had a strong sense of confidence in his judgment about what was best. He'd alerted us that Amanda's birth canal might be too narrow for the baby to move through. So she pushed ahead with the labor and I kept track of what has happening (generally when the pitocin was increased, when we made decision about the epidural, the c-section, etc.). After a while, I needed some form of sleep, so I got a blanket and slept on the floor. Certainly it wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't anything like what Amanda was enduring.
When we started talking about the c-section, I was under the impression that Amanda the doctor left me with making the final decision, so I asked him point-blank, "What's the mortality rate?" He explained that it depends on the complication which led to the c-section. Somewhere along the line Amanda mentioned the multitude of our friends who've had c-sections who are still with us.
I eventually agreed that it was the best way we'd have a chance to see our daughter.
So, we got ready and I felt like it was over before it started. A couple of sharp, quick cries and we heard that our daughter had finally arrived. It seemed like we were watching them pull somebody else's baby out. Then they handed her to me.
I felt smitten in a wholesome sense, almost from the beginning. I want to do anything I can to help this child have the life she should have.
I'm not doing too well wit h the loss of sleep, but again, I'm not the one with an 8-12 inch incision, nor am I the one trying to do the actual feeding.
I'm coming to terms with the loss of a certain amount of control, but it's all for the good. We wanted her and we will do our best to provide for her.
That's it off the top of my head! Hope this fills in some gaps. More maybe later!

1 comment:

Martha said...

tHANKS pAUL, THAT put a smile on my face!!!