Saturday, September 03, 2005

The search for the perfect muffaleta

I went to college at the University of Alabama some (muffle, cough, shuffle papers) years ago and there was this shop called the International Deli that served a muffaleta (I'm not sure if I'm spelling it right) sandwich.
For those who don't know, muffaletas are New Orleans specialties. I can't remember what all they have on them, but I got hooked on them and went back several years later, only to find the place was different.
Since then, I've tried other places in the South which serve muffaletas and never found one which came close to the one at the Deli.
Last October, Amanda got to go on her first trip to New Orleans during our sixth anniversary celebration last October.
This was at least my third visit to the city, including an impromptu excursion one night from metro Mobile, Ala. more than 13 years ago.
We visited the French Quarter, the D-Day Museum, Cafe Du Monde and the Riverwalk shopping area. We enjoyed what we saw and pledged to go back. Now it may be a long time and the city may never be close to the same.
We stayed in an area off Gentilly which is probably under water and unfortunately, many of the people we rode the bus with into downtown are probably dead or were evacuated under the most recent extreme conditions.
A few blocks away, we went to a local restaurant which served what probably was an authentic muffaleta. I think I came away recalling that the International Deli version was pretty close to this.
Anyone with information on what constitutes a textbook muffaleta, please feel free to share as we try to remember the good things about New Orleans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's Lisa here.

Sometimes I guess good things are wasted on people. I went to New Orleans around 1997 with a girl from my dorm who lived in Kenner (right outside New Orleans). Her mother worked at a grocery/deli that served muffulettas. We got one and I must say that I did not like. I think it came down to the olive salad on it that is so essential to a good muffuletta. I hate olives!!! Anyways, I just wanted to say that I do have a muffuletta memory...even if it isn't one of craving.

For me, it was all about the jambalaya! Yum!

Martha said...

Rick and I got engaged in New Orleans! We have only been once and have incredible memories and pictures. Can't say I have ever had a muffuletta, not into the olive spread.

Nicholas said...

I worked at the ID for five years. The muffaleta was awesome but I was told over and over it wasn't an authentic New Orleans muffaleta. Despite that I would still love an ID muffaleta again (after a New Yorker).