Saturday, February 25, 2006

"They’ll never see the likes of us again"

Tom Brokaw immortalized the "Greatest Generation" with his book, and the men and women who stuggled so intently to get us through World War II are most certainly deserving of our thanks.
My late parents came of age in the 1940s, with my father doing so as a soldier in the 84th Infantry Division and my mother, eventually, as an employee of the Veterans Administration in Montgomery, Ala.
Dad suffered wounds in the Battle of the Bulge likely somewhere in Belgium Jan. 3, 1945. He returned home and started working at what was then the L(ouisville) and N(ashville) railroad, now a part of CSX Corporation.
A song by Genesis reminds me of Dad. It's called "Driving the Last Spike" and was released on "We Can't Dance" in 1991. It's the story of the development of the railway in England and the human cost, arguably one of the best songs they've done that didn't receive popular acclaim. Of course, there's the connection with the railroad. The hours were sometimes tough on us and him, and he certainly gave his all at his work but to my knowledge it was nothing compared to the loss of life and suffering the men who built the railroads endured.
The line that most reminds me of Dad, Mom and everyone from the "Greatest Generation" is this: "They’ll never see the likes of us again." And, I believe that's true. I hope that my generation can at least raise children comparable to that of the men and women who kept us safe during and after World War II.

No comments: