Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A pet peeve

This is something that's gotten on my nerves for several years now.
It's a cute gimmick for a television ad, I guess, but it speaks to a potential problem - Dad is portrayed as a clueless, uninvolved idiot, leaving Mom, and even the kids, hip and wise.
Sure, Moms do a whole lot of the heavy lifting around the house and I'm grateful for what the one in my house does. But it seems as though these ads paint a sweeping picture of the American male which I pray is not reality.
If it is, then we've got a serious problem, brothers, and we've got to unite and step up to the plate.
To fend off future ad fodder, let's do the following:
  • Take a look around you. Is it possible that what you're trying to make a point about is already happening in your house? If so, stop a minute and get a clue.
  • Ask questions. Yes, I know this is hard, but sometimes, it's necessary.
  • Find some way to involve yourself in your family's lives. Be a soccer or recital dad. It's OK.
It sure beats looking like this guy:

1 comment:

believingthomas said...

Paul, that is a huge problem with many "kids" movies and lots of TV shows.