Sunday, November 08, 2009

Force feeding and faith shouldn't mix

This morning, Amanda pointed out that Jadyn tends to steer away from spiritual conversations after noticing one she dodged as we readied her for church.
While we don't want to force feed her about Christ, we do want her to encounter Him for herself and we want to set the right atmosphere this. Amanda mentioned we don't pray enough for this to happen and it's true. Later, I was looking through some books on a dresser in one of our rooms and two caught my eye – "You Have What It Takes" by John Eldredge and "101 Ways to Talk to God" by Dandi Daley Mackall.
I've thought about using some of the approaches Mackall suggests in helping Jadyn learn how to have her own conversations with God. Plus, Eldredge says: "She wants to know: Am I lovely? That's the question every little girl is asking. And she looks to her dad to answer it."
I already try to affirm my love for her and my opinion of her beauty on a regular basis. It's the spritual side which has been lagging, but I know that one day, how she sees her relationship with her earthly father will have a direct correlation to how she views God.
I decided to come up with a plan of action to address this, then went to church.
After church, we went to lunch. We talked about what she learned in her children's church class, and she said it was thankfulness. A friend asked her what she was thankful for and her first answer was Jesus. I was relieved!
This doesn't mean I need to slack off and say no further action is required. But it does warm my heart that she does seem to understand.
A few minutes ago, we just completed a nearly one-hour battle to get her to eat some corn. We ended the stalemate by making her down a forkful.
I'm grateful it doesn't seem like helping her develop her faith in Christ isn't coming to the same conclusion.

No comments: