Monday, November 16, 2009

Hybrid language



I've been discussing the idea of developing a conversational writing style with some people recently. This is a good idea and I want to work toward it. The trouble is, I'll need to use someone else as a model.
See, I tend to mix a number of styles in my speech, especially when I'm around friends or in other suitably comfortable savings. Instead of explaining it, I'll use an example: "Peace out, y'all!"
I use words which are probably antiquated in some respects and modern or possibly out-of-place in others.
It's how I talk. :)
I'm comfortable with it. It's my "second skin" as a language. I enjoy it and especially where it relates to informal talk, I'll probably stick with it as base of operations.
I'll just be myself and see how it works out.

2 comments:

karen said...

Never, ever, EVER... be anyone else than who God created you to be. Great lesson for us all.

Paul said...

I agree! So many times I forget that, slipping into the line of thought that I have to apologize for myself. Thanks for the reminder, Karen!