Sunday, November 15, 2009

Is it weird?

In this day and age of Twitter, would our younger selves look at those of us who interact, connect and share on the social media network think we'd lost our minds at what we do?
In the last several weeks, I've watched three live concerts and interacted during these events with others. Like someone mentioned tonight during the Michael W. Smith show, it was as if we were all there together.
Today, my wife talked with a friend three states away about the contents of Rotel. I joined in a group chat about what would your name be if it weren't what you were given.
I'm not down with Homer. Won't ever be.
I've howled with laughter and even shrinked from some of the candor I see. I'm not quite that brave.
Yet.
But I sense connections with people all across North America and individuals who live in Asia, South America and Australia through various means including but not limited to Twitter. Dozens have prayed for me. Some of us have prayed together.
Despite my best intentions and hopes, I may never meet most of them here on Earth. But they've enriched my life in ways they may never quite know.
I hope I've done the same.
I told someone the other day there's some folks in the Pacific Northwest who would probably swing the doors wide and welcome us with open arms if we showed up on their doorsteps, though I'm sure they would appreciate some advanced notice. :) And possibly other parts of the world.
So is it weird that we have all these friends scattered about the globe?
From where I sit? Nope.

3 comments:

karen said...

It's so far from weird. It's different... our parents would never have dreamed of the types of connections we can make now.

I think having friends around the globe helps remind us that the Church is not about our local congregation. It's much, much bigger than that. It's still so not about me.

Donna said...

I met my spouse on the internet (via Compuserve" in 1990s! Even before there was a "WWW". The tech available now to stay connected to others is, I think, a good thing. The world seems smaller for sure. That I learn even about you and Amanda..and have grown to love you as I do..as well as so many others..well, it's just too wonderful for words! So I'll shut up now : )

Paul said...

Karen: Love the reminder that it's "still so not about me." Helps to remember the axis doesn't run through our heads. I love the feeling of having family - in your case a sister - I haven't met yet.
Donna: Thank you Donna! We love you as well and the connection we all share is pretty amazing! Amanda and I met on IRC in the late 1990s, way before the proprietary dating sites.