Thursday, November 26, 2009

Gratitude

For some reason, it's not always easy for me naturally to count my blessings. I tend toward the half-empty view, or at least I used to. So when I step back and force myself out of the negative mindset, I realize I have plenty to be thankful to God for, including:
  • I'm alive.
  • I'm reasonably good health for a big boy, with the knowledge I need to do something about the "big" part sooner rather than later.
  • I have a beautiful, intelligent wife who is more understanding and patient with me than I give her credit for being.
  • My gorgeous, bright daughter who I hope I'm doing right by as I raise her.
  • Being employed and finding new ways to enjoy my work.
  • Learning not to walk in fear - the world isn't going to fall in around me if I do something out of the ordinary, and if it does, I need to trust God to handle the aftermath.
  • The dozens of amazing people we've gotten to know through Church Online and Twitter these past 11 months from all over North America and on at least three other continents. It's been amazing journey I hope is nowhere finished, but rather just beginning. These folks have enriched our lives beyond measure and I hope we've done the same for them. Many of them are literally like family to us and I believe God has given them to us as such. (Grant me this temporary relapse in fear - I'm afraid to start listing people and miss anyone.) I also have met a number of fellow Rush fans in various parts of the globe I also consider good friends and I'm grateful to know them as well.
  • The people we've already known. These include my in-laws, who've gone above and beyond in making up for not having counterparts on my side of the family. Between our Twitter friends, our in-person church folks (past and present) and our online friends, we have a patchwork family which looks like very few others.
  • The time I got to spend with my parents and for the good things they did for me. They did more to prepare me and love me than I give them credit for when I slip back into half-empty mode and I look forward to seeing them again someday.
  • My relationship with Jesus Christ, which has grown by leaps and bounds since we've been hanging around LifeChurch.tv.
With all that said, it's time to get some other things under way today. What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving Day?



No comments: