Monday, November 20, 2006

The Roofus Chronicles, Part I

Roofus was a solid black cat my mother found - literally on a roof - just on the edge of downtown Montgomery around April 1992. He'd been basically a stray neighborhood cat who probably lived off the land and the kindness of strangers, like Mom.
We think he was about a year old when she found him.
She kept him for a few weeks and decided to send him home with me, which was, at the time, in a bayside apartment in Daphne, Ala.
Roofus was a pretty determined animal most of the time. One time, in Daphne, he crawled under the sink and may have found his way to the bathroom, which had one of those big tubs with jacuzzi jets.
Yes, I miss that tub.
But I digress.
Roofus would decide on occaision to go outside. Actually, he clawed a spot in the carpet near the front door and I think I caved more often than not just to get the clawing to stop - or at least pause.
He found his way into the hearts - and doors - of several neighbors.
Roofus was a fiesty little guy and there were times I would have to get a blanket and toss it over him temporarily to get him inside.
More Roofus chronicles at another time.

No comments: